Last Updated [9/14/2014]
Users of the VoiceBase Service and in the European Union should be aware that VoiceBase complies with the data protection requirements applicable to it.
VoiceBase complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from the Member States of the European Union. VoiceBase has self-certified to the U.S. Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement with respect to all personal data transferred from the EU to the United States within the scope of its Safe Harbor certification. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view VoiceBase’s certification, please visit: https://safeharbor.export.gov/list.aspx.We self-certify compliance with:
VoiceBase’s adherence to the Safe Harbor Principles may be limited (a) to the extent required to respond to a legal or ethical obligation; (b) to the extent necessary to meet national security, public interest or law enforcement obligations; and (c) to the extent expressly permitted by an applicable law, rule or regulation. If you have any questions relating to VoiceBase’s adherence to the Safe Harbor Principles, please feel free to contact us at [SafeHarbor@voicebase.com].
VoiceBase is committed to providing you with notice and choice regarding the information we collect and how we use and share that information. Through our VoiceBase Service, we may collect the following information about you:
• User-Provided Information: You may provide to VoiceBase what is generally called “personally identifiable” information or “personal information” (such as your name, e-mail address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, payment account information, or demographic information) when using the VoiceBase Service, such as when you register for the site, create a profile, upload recordings, or interact with other users of the VoiceBase Service through communication features such as posting comments. We refer to this information as “Personal Data.”
We do not generally collect “sensitive” Personal Data, including Personal Data about personality and private life, racial or ethnic origin, nationality, political opinions, membership of political parties or movements, religious, philosophical or other similar beliefs, membership of a trade union or profession or trade association, physical or mental health, genetic code, addictions, sexual life, property matters or criminal record (including information about suspected criminal activities). You are not required to provide any Sensitive Personal Data to use any of our services.
• Cookies and other Automatically Collected Information: When you use the VoiceBase Service, we may send one or more cookies – small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters – to your computer. VoiceBase may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the VoiceBase Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the VoiceBase Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the VoiceBase Service to their fullest potential.
When you use the VoiceBase Service or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including standard log files, “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This “automatically collected” information may include your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”) or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the VoiceBase Service, the pages you view on the VoiceBase Service, and the dates and times that you visit the VoiceBase Service.
• Collection by Third Parties: In addition to the data VoiceBase collects on its own behalf, VoiceBase may make it possible for third parties to collect certain technical data about you. For instance, we may also implement third party content, such as advertising, on the VoiceBase service that uses “clear gifs” or “web beacons”, which allow the third party content provider to read and write cookies to your browser in connection with your viewing of that third party content displayed on the VoiceBase Service. This information is collected directly by the third party, and VoiceBase does not participate in that data transmission. Information collected by third parties in this manner is subject to that third party’s own data collection, use, and disclosure policies.
VoiceBase uses the information you provide or that we collect to develop, operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the VoiceBase Service now and in the future. We adhere to the EU data protection principle of “data integrity” and will take reasonable steps to ensure that all Personal Data we collect, retain, or use is relevant to its intended use, accurate, complete, and current.
We will use your email address to contact you for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, to address intellectual property infringement, rights of privacy, or defamation issues, or regarding User Submissions that you have posted to the VoiceBase Service.
VoiceBase uses the information that you provide or that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the VoiceBase Service works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
VoiceBase may use automatically collected information and cookies to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you use the VoiceBase Service; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the VoiceBase Service and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
VoiceBase may use your email address or other Personal Data to send i) messages about the VoiceBase Service, such as when you receive a message, comment, or request from another user, ii) promotional messages related to the VoiceBase Service and the activities of third parties we work with, and iii) messages on behalf of other users who think you may be interested in the VoiceBase Service or certain content available on the VoiceBase Service. Generally, you have the ability to opt-out of receiving any such communications, either through links provided in the messages, or by updating your account preferences through the VoiceBase Service.
Information Disclosure and Onward Transfer:
Our users’ privacy is very important to us, and we are not in the business of selling Personal Data. We do, however, disclose Personal Data about you in a variety of circumstances in connection with developing and maintaining the VoiceBase Service and operating our business, or in circumstances where you explicitly permit or request that we transfer information.
• VoiceBase works with third party service providers in the U.S. and other jurisdictions to provide website development, hosting, maintenance, transcription, and support as well as other business services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their work, these third parties may have access to or process Personal Data about you. These disclosures are generally made under terms comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information the purpose for which it was provided.
• The VoiceBase Service enables users to communicate in a variety of ways. Any Personal Data that you voluntarily choose to include in a publicly accessible area on the VoiceBase Service, such as a recording that you upload and share, your public profile page or in a comment, posting or other User Submission, will be available to other users who access that content. Once you make Personal Data available to others any of these ways, it may be collected and used by the recipients without restriction.
• VoiceBase may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties, to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the VoiceBase Service.
• VoiceBase may also disclose information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary or useful to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law), to respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement activity.
• VoiceBase works to promote a safe and reliable service for all users. We reserve the right to disclose information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect VoiceBase and others from fraudulent, abusive, predatory, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the VoiceBase Service; or to protect or vindicate the rights, property, or personal safety of VoiceBase, our users, or others.
We reserve the right to disclose, transfer or assign information about our users, including Personal Data, to an acquirer, or successor or assignee as part of any merger, acquisition, debt financing, sale of assets, or similar transaction, as well as in the event of an insolvency, bankruptcy, or receivership in which information is transferred to one or more third parties as one of our business assets.
Personal Data Access and Correction:
You may, of course, decline to share certain Personal Data with VoiceBase, in which case VoiceBase may not be able to provide to you some or all of the features and functionality found on the VoiceBase Service. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page through the VoiceBase Service. Please note that while your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics. Please note also that once you have publicly shared information, it may be re-shared by other users, and your subsequent modification or removal of that information will not necessarily affect all copies previously propagated by others.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access or making corrections to your information. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
Third Party Services:
The VoiceBase Service contains links to Web sites and services provided by third parties. Any Personal Data you provide on third party sites or services is provided directly to that third party and is subject to that third party’s policies, if any, governing privacy and security. We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of third party sites or services to which links are displayed on the VoiceBase Service. We encourage you to learn about third parties privacy and security policies before providing them with Personal Data.
Our Commitment to Data Security:
VoiceBase employs certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to help protect the integrity and security of Personal Data. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to VoiceBase, and you do so at your own risk. Please note that this is not a guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If VoiceBase learns of a data security incident affecting Personal Data, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. VoiceBase may post a notice through the VoiceBase Service if a security breach occurs.
The VoiceBase Service is operated from within the United States. If you choose to use the VoiceBase Service from the European Union or other regions of the world, then please note that you are transferring Personal Data outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing and by providing Personal Data to VoiceBase you consent to that transfer, storage, and processing. For more information about how VoiceBase complies with European data protection principles, please review our discussion of the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor framework above.
If you are unsatisfied with the way we have responded to any concerns about our handling of Personal Data, the matter may be dealt with through the U.S. Council for International Business (USCIB). Additionally, VoiceBase’s compliance with this Privacy Statement is regulated at a federal level in part by the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Your California Privacy Rights:
A business subject to California Civil Code section 1798.83 is required to disclose to its customers, upon request, the identity of any third parties to whom the business has disclosed “personal information” regarding that customer within the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make such a request, please submit your request in writing via email to: [Privacy@voicebase.com]. Please note that California businesses are only required to respond to a customer request once during the course of any calendar year.